Well the faithful welcomed back Ryan Smyth in a fitting fashion. He was booed every time he touched the puck. Of course he was also booed when he scored both of Colorado's goals in the Islanders 4-2 victory. I don't personally harbor him any ill will, but the booing was deserved and was quite loud for such a small crowd. He played solid hockey for the Avalanche tonight as evidenced by his two goals which were his 22nd and 23rd goals of the year for him. His goals were scored at 0:33 of the seond period and 1:02 of the third period.
Jesse Joensuu made his NHL debut tonight for the Islanders. The 6'4" 21 year old Finnish Left Wing was called up this afternoon to take the place of the soon to be departed Bill Guerin. Joensuu was taken in the 2nd round (60th overall) of the Amateur Draft in 2006. Joensuu scored at 2:31 of the second period to retake the lead 2-1 for the Islanders. He scored in his NHL debut. Nice work kid.
In other notes:
- Dean McAmmond scored first for Islanders at 13:15 of the first period to make the scored 1-0. McAmmond was wearing an "A" tonight serving as an Alternate Captain in the place of the injured Trent Hunter.
- Bruno Gervais scored the third goal for the Isles at 13:04 of the second period. It was Bruno's first goal in three seasons.
- Point machine Jon Sim got the primary assist on each of the Islanders first three goals. He was named 1st Star of the game.
- Jeff Tambellini scored the Islanders final goal at 4:48 of the third period. This gives Tamby 3 goals on the year. One for each quarter of the season played.
- Yann Danis was solid once again in goal for the New York Islanders.
- Obviously, no news on the Guerin front.
- Tickets to tonight's game can be used as vouchers for free tickets to one of the games on 3/25, 4/11 or 4/12.