So the Islanders lost 5-4 tonight in shootout. The fact that they even got a point in this game proves that they have not thrown in the towel yet. Exceptional opportunities created by Sean Bergenheim tonight, but he only converted on one. One season ticket holder who sits near me thought it was Bergy's best game yet as an Islander. Unfortunately the picture to the left does not tell tonight's story, but I so wanted to use it anyway.
Here are the rest of thoughts on tonight's game bullet style as usual for a home game.
- Ian White of Toronto scored early to make it 1-0 Toronto at the 1:23 mark. That was all the scoring in the first period
- The Brendan Witt as a forward on the power play experiment seems to have ended.
- Dominic Moore scored a shorty to make 2-0 Toronto at 0:57 of the second period
- Dean McAmmond scored his first goal as an Islander to cut the Toronto lead to 2-1 at 14:32 of the second period.
- Brendan Witt takes a five minute major penalty for elbowing at 2:21 of the third period. He also gets a Game Misconduct penalty.
- At 3:30 Bergy bypasses Ian White and scores a beautiful shorthanded goal to tie game at 2-2.
- At 5:35, Pavel Kubina scores a PP goal for Toronto to cash in on Witt's 5 minute major to retake the lead for Toronto.
- Nik Antropov scores a 90 seconds later to make it 4-2 Toronto.
- Islanders tie the game 4-4 on goals by Mark Streit and Jon Sim (yes, Jon Sim)
- After the Isles dominated the overtime play, they lost in the shootout. Jeff (I love shootouts) Tambellini had the Islanders only goal in the shootout.
- Islanders lose 5-4. They were lucky to get a point out of this game.